Eiland's English Discussion Board
THIS PAGE WILL EXPLAIN HOW TO ACCESS AND USE THE CANVAS MESSAGE BOARD.
The Message/Discussion Board participation requirement will be fulfilled by involvement in one of the
Discussion Groups. For details on intent and access link, see EILAND'S
ENGLISH DISCUSSION BOARDS.
- SIGN IN:
- Sign in to the CANVAS discussion board by linking from message board page or go directly to CANVAS. Your login and password are your WINGSPAN login and password.
- LOG IN:
- To log in, simply click on the appropriate link from the Discussion Board page on the web
site or go directly to CANVAS. Click on LOGIN buttton on left side of page. Put your login in the box that says "Username" Under that is another box for your Password. Then click LOG IN. This will
take you to the message board for your classes. All of the courses you are taking will be listed. N.B. I do not use CANVAS for on-campus courses. Choose the appropriate course and click on it. You will be taken to that course's materials.
- ORGANIZE YOURSELF:
- On CANVAS,the course is divided into MODULES, one for each week. There's also a separate MODULE for student services provided by the college, as well as one for the syllabus itself. Finally, there is an initial module called START HERE, which you must complete before you move on to the rest of the class material, as it helps you to navigate the rest of the course. Each module will contain both a set of reading assignments, linked to englit.org's Calendar, as well as written assignments, such as the RESPONSES, the DISCUSSION GROUPS, and of course PAPERS and TESTS.
- MESSAGES IN FOLDERS:
- The messages in a MODULE will be listed in threads...linked by common topic. For the purposes of online courses, you'll need to reply for basically a single purpose: to post your completed RESPONSE or DISCUSSION GROUP in reply to your initial posting for the RESPONSE or claim for the DISCUSSION GROUP topic. You are neither required nor expected to respond to other students with one exception: the DISCUSSION GROUP RESPONSE assignment for each DISCUSSION GROUP.
- RESPONDING TO A MESSAGE:
- To REPLY to the message, click on the REPLY button beneath the message. (A series of replies to the same message creates a MESSAGE THREAD.) You must press the SUBMIT button at the end of the form to post the message.
- EDITING YOUR MESSAGE:
- If after posting your message, you want to change it or fix it, choose EDIT button under
that message. It will reopen the message...and you must hit the APPLY button at bottom of page
for changes to take effect. YOU CAN ONLY EDIT OR DELETE YOUR OWN MESSAGES.
© T. T. Eiland, January 1998
Last modified: August 21, 2017