In English we only use one word or word phrase as the subject of a sentence. Some writers
make the mistake of using both a proper noun and a pronoun as subjects of the same sentence.
That is known as "repeated subject." In the following sentences, decide whether that
error has been made, and make the proper corrections.
- Sam, he is a student.
- That woman, she works at the supermarket.
- Suddenly, two men, they were standing at the door.
- After the dance, the gang, they went to another party.
- After talking to the police, we decided to get a car alarm.
- Where is the book that you bought it?
- According to my wife, she is smarter than I am.
- The Daytona 500, it is an exciting automobile race.
- After this exercise, you should be a better writer.
- The boy and the girl, they walked on the beach.
- Working at the store, it is very tiring.
- Take the cake that you bought it at the store and put it on the table.
- The baby she was very fussy today.
- The band that we heard them was very good.
- I don't know where you got it, but put it back.
Updated October 19, 1999
© Mr. Thomas T. Eiland