PowerPoint Document Version
EILAND'S ONLINE ENGLISH CLASSES
THESIS STATEMENT DEFINED
- The primary sentence of your paper -- the sentence that encapsulates the point of
- It is a direct statement.
- It should include the title and author's name.
WHAT A T.S. IS NOT
- Purpose Statements (e.g. I will... In this essay...)
- Questions -- (e.g. Is this story full of meaning?) it is the answer we want.
- Vague -- (e.g. Everyone sometimes does stuff that's really important) use specifics and
SOME THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Be brief, concise, and direct.
- Include author's name and title of work.
- Incorporate the thematic approach (symbolism, theme, etc.) you will focus on in your essay.
- In "Prue," Alice Munro shows us how characters can be both sympathetic and
frustrating at the same time.
- In "Prue," the author, Alice Munro, shows us the lives of modern people as
lonely and depressing.
- Alice Munro's "Prue" is a good example of a plot-driven story with flat
© Mr. Thomas T. Eiland