PowerPoint Document Version
EILAND'S ONLINE ENGLISH CLASSES
art courtesy of
Janet Preslar, FrActivity
For Summer, see Assignment details on Blackboard
Out-of-Class Papers: Fall and Spring Only
SUBJECT STORIES WILL BE REVEALED AS WE GO
ASPECTS REQUIRED OF EACH PAPER
- 5-7 pages
- Primary Source only
- Analyze whether the work under discussion is Interpretive or Escapist, whether it's
plot- or character-driven. Discuss character, plot, and ending.
- character elements will include whether the character is round or flat (Change, Complexity/Stereotype and Internal Conflict), and also discuss external conflicts
- Use quoted primary text in each body paragraph.
- 8-12 pages
- 5-7 Secondary Sources
- Works Cited Page
- you must use directly quoted text from the primary AND secondary sources in EACH body paragraph.
- you must focus on literary analysis in each body paragraph. There should be no paragraph in which you simply retell the story.
- Discuss the story you have chosen from the list I provide, identifying and explaining using symbolism, irony and conflict.
© Mr. Thomas T. Eiland
© T. T. Eiland, January 1998
Last modified: December 22, 2013