These resources offer historical and and other information about particular eras in human history. Use these to put music, film and literature into social context.
Ancient History through 1600's
- Horton, Rod W. and Vincent F. Hopper. Backgrounds of European Literature: The Political, Social, and Intellectual Development Behind the Great Books of Western Civilization. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc., 1954.
Has ancient Green and Roman history. Also history on Germany and France.
1700's through 1800's
- "Ancient Greece: The Archaic Period" (June 27, 2006)
Site discussing Greece from 800 – 500 BC. Has links at the bottom of the page to go to the different city states and other topics of The Archaic Period. These contain info about the lives of classes, men and women, politics, slavery, children, education, marriage, government, and wars.
- Bradley, Keith (Professor) "Resisting Slavery in Ancient Rome". (June 27, 2006)
Article discussing slavery in ancient Rome. Through Citrus library history search.
- Johnston, Harold Whetstone (Revised by Mary Johnston). The Private Life of the Romans. Scott, Foresman and Company (1903, 1932). (June 27, 2006)
This URL address goes to the chapter titled "Amusements". It has a section (364) called "Other Shows in the Ampitheater" that briefly states that people were thrown to wild beasts in the arena. This site also has links to lots of other information on the lives of ancient Romans. Includes a section on slavery in ancient Rome. (This is through Citrus library history site)
- "Life in Elizabethan England" . (June 20, 2006)
Site has different links for 1558-1603. Includes Masters and Servants, Children, Religion, etc.
- "Modern History Sourcebook: Social Conditions in 17th Century France" (July 2, 2006)
Excerpts from different sources on conditions in France in 17th C.
- "Stuarts" British Timeline. (June 20, 2006)
Site has links to different subjects and articles for British history for the years 1603 – 1713
- "United States: History > Colonial America to 1763 > Cultural and religious development > Colonial culture." Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
(July 6, 2006)
US site. On the left side of the page, there are links to other topics including history and culture.
- The Victorian Web. (May 25, 2006)
Website that has links to many articles about life in Victorian England. Good site for era.
Early 20th century through 1940's
- Abbott, Edith. "A Study of the Early History of Child Labor in America" American Journal of Sociology 14 (July 1908): 15-37. HTML by Dinsmore Documentation * Added June 17, 2002. (June 22, 2006)
Article discussing child labor in America. Has some colonial views about children.
- "After the Revolution". PBS website. (July 4, 2006)
Discusses life in the US in the late 1700’s. Has links to related subjects such as "Building Frontier Communities". This site focuses on the diaries of a midwife of the period named Martha Ballard.
- "Georgians.". British Timeline. (June 20, 2006)
Site has links to different subjects and articles for British history for the years 1714 – 1836.
- Blackbourn, David. The Long Nineteenth Century: A History of Germany 1780 – 1918. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998. eBook through the Citrus Library. (As far as I know, the student has to be at the library to access this.) Type in History of Germany. Includes social conditions in Germany at the time. There are other books on Germany in the library.
- Clark, Charles Manning Hope. A History of Australia. Carlton, Victoria: Melbourne University Press, 1962. Covers Australian history from the beginning to 1935. Book at the Citrus Library.
- Terrill, Ross. The Australians. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1987. Library book at Citrus. Includes social life and customs. There are other books on Australia in the library.
- American "About the 19th Century." (June 22, 2006)
Click on a decade. Site contains info about 19th century America. Topics include Art, Business, Literature, Immigration, Education, News, Music, Pastimes, Science, Social Movements. Has links to all sorts of other things including education of children.
- "American Cultural History: The Twentieth Century". Kingwood College Library. (July 2, 2006)
Site has links to the different decades of the 20th C in America. Has headings such as Historic Events and Technology, About the Decade, and Arts and Literature. Has lots of other links within the different sections.
- Cosper, D. Dale B.A., M.A., Ph.D. "French Literature" Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2006. http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. (July 2, 2006)
Article on French literature and history. Has some culture and history mixed throughout.
- "Denmark: History - Denmark Since 1900." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. (July 6, 2006)
Denmark site for Britannica. On the left side of the page, there are links to a lot of other topics on life in Denmark. Looking for life in the 1900’s.
- "Early 20th Century" . British Timeline (June 20, 2006)
Site has links to different subjects and articles for British history for the years 1901 – 1944.
- "Modern Scotland" BBC website. (July 4, 2006)
Site with links to different topics in Scottish history for the 20th C.
- "Norway: The Official Site in the United States" (July 6, 2006)
This page has links to the Society and Policy section of the Norway site. Includes articles on different subjects such as Children’s Affairs and Gender Equality
- "Norway: Cultural Life > Daily Life and Social Customs" Encyclopedia Britannica Online. . (July 6, 2006)
Norway site for Britannica. On the left side of the page, there are links to a lot of other topics on Norwegian life. Looking for life in the 1900’s.
- "Poland: The People > Social Structures" Encyclopedia Britannica Online (July 6, 2006)
Poland site for Britannica. On the left side of the page, there are links to a lot of other topics on life in Poland. Looking for life in the 1900’s.
- "Post WWII" British Timeline. (June 20, 2006)
Site has links to different subjects and articles for British history for the years 1945 – 2002.
- "American Cultural History: 1960 – 1969" Kingwood College Library. (February 27, 2007)
Site about the 60’s. Categories: Art & Architecture, Theater film etc, Books and lit, fashion & fads, education, music, events & tech., sports. Many links.
- Bailey, Beth. "Rebels without a cause?" History Today, 00182753, Feb90, Vol. 40, Issue 2. (May 27, 2007)
Article on going steady in the 50s.
- Jacobs, Pat. "va room..VA room...va ROOM....VA ROOM.....VAROOMMMMM!" Rewind the Fifties website. (May 26, 2007)
Talks about cruising and cars in the fifties
- Tefertillar, Robert L. "The greatest teen-time decade" Antiques & Collecting Magazine, 10840818, Jul96, Vol. 101, Issue 5. (May 27, 2007)
Article on cars and teens in the 50s.
Compiled by Beverly Butler
- "American Cultural History: 1960 – 1969." Kingwood College Library. http://kclibrary.nhmccd.edu/decade60.html (February 10, 2007)
College library site about the 60’s. Has many links to different subjects
• “American Cultural History: 1970-1979.” Kingwood College Library website. http://kclibrary.nhmccd.edu/decade70.html (August 31, 2007)
Website about the 70’s. Has links to many different subjects
- “American Cultural History: 1980-1989.” Kingwood College Library website. http://kclibrary.nhmccd.edu/decade80.html (August 31, 2007)
Website about the 80’s. Has links to many different subjects
© T. T. Eiland, January 1998
Last modified: January 12, 2008