photos courtesy of
Sociology in Practice Assignment
Sociology in Practice Assignment:
Worth 25 points
Due: WEDNESDAY Week 6
Late papers will not be accepted.
The purpose of this assignment is to allow you to practice your sociological knowledge and skills. You will focus on the social impact on peopleís lives: that we are products of the society in which we live.
From the readings and lecture, you have found that elements of culture are all around us. Think about the multiple uses of the concept of culture. Keep a journal for three days and document the ways in which the concept of culture comes up in your day-to-day life.
Apply and discuss at least three course concepts from the culture chapter (for example dominant culture, cultural diffusion, sanctions, subculture, etc.). Differentiate between material and symbolic (nonmaterial) culture. Also discuss norms and other elements of nonmaterial culture. Make sure to use and explain relevant sociological concepts from readings, and provide specific examples for the concepts.
Finally, conclude this paper by answering this question: How has this exercise (and chapter) changed how you think about culture?
Mechanics of the Paper:
- Papers should be at least two full pages.
- Papers should be double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, in black ink, with 1 inch margins.
- Grammar, spelling, and format are important. Proper spelling & grammar are important indicators of a well-prepared paper. Be sure to use your spell/grammar check and proofread your work. Excessive errors will result in a reduction of points.
- This is an academic paper; therefore, the explanations must be written in formal language (no slang; limit contractions, such as canít, donít, wonít).
- Late papers will not be accepted. No exceptions.
How to Submit your Work:
You will submit all of your assignments through TURNITIN.COM. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Click on the appropriate assignment heading
- Click on View/Complete
- Enter first name
- Enter last name
- Enter Submission title
- Attach Word document (under Browse for the file to upload)
- Click on Upload button
You must attach a Word or Pages document. Do not use Microsoft Works. I do not have this program. If you type your assignment in Works, save as Rich Text Format and then attach your document.
To save your work as Rich Text Format:
- Click on File and Save or Save As
- At the bottom, where it says Save as Type, click on arrow and scroll down to Rich Text Format
- Also, where it says Save In (at the top), click where on your computer you want to save your work
- Then click Save